Lessons learned from Jocko Podcast #11 :
- It is in the belly of the beast that we thrive. I have seen with my own eyes the wholesale slaughter when that occurs when Seals are unleashed on the enemy - as we were meant to be.
- There is nothing new. The nature of war has never changed and never will change. It’s death.
- Before man was, war waited for him. As long as man is, war will always be.
- Leif: I did not get selected for the seal teams. That was crushing for me. It was a soul crushing event for me. His response: work harder and preserve for another 3 years until he finally got in. He matured a lot during those 3 years. During BUDs people were whining about how tough training was. I was just fired up to be there.
- Biggles was struggling. He looked himself in the mirror and said this is what I want to do. I will turn this around. While everyone else is resting he’s going out for runs, pull-ups, working. (A remarkable physical transformation) He became Biggles 2000 - the new model. He summited Mt Rainer completely blind😳
- Don’t just think about your team. Think about yourself. You have to think about raising the bar on yourself. You have to think about what you will tolerate from yourself. How you can raise your own bar and standard. How you can get better with everything you do.
Get two free audiobooks by trying Audible here.
- Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
- The Dichotomy of Leadership: Balancing the Challenges of Extreme Ownership to Lead and Win by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin