Lessons from Jocko Podcast #4 Rendezvous With Death, Disrespect, Workouts
- Alan Sieger wrote the poem I Have a Rendezvous with Death shortly before being killed in action at Belloy-en-Santerre on July 4, 1916
- The one war Jocko would not want to participate in is WW1
- This episode is about Battle Leadership by Adolf Von Schell.
- According to Von Schell the psychological impressions of battle were simpler in the past. Now machines rule the battlefield and many times you are fighting against an enemy you can't see.
- Dangers that are thus foreseen are already half overcome.
- There are two modes: offensive and defensive. Choose offensive. When you are offensive you are making things happen. When you are defensive things are happening to you and your are forced to react. Switching from defensive to offensive changes your perspective and increases your enjoyment of life.
- If you feel overwhelmed with tasks write down what you need to do. List your tasks in order of priority and tackle the highest priority one first. (Prioritize and execute)
- We all have a rendezvous with death. There is no escaping that. This trip we are on is short. (Don't waste it)
- Think about your life as a rendezvous with destiny. Make the most of the opportunities you have with hard work, focus and drive.